WHAT WERE SOME OF THE CHALLENGES YOU WERE FACING IN YOUR BUSINESS BEFORE JOINING THE MENTOR PROGRAM?
In my previous life, I was a Human Resources Consultant which followed by a long stint as a stay at home mum once my son was born. I was a serial renovator for several years during this period, before an opportunity presented itself to assist a local Real Estate Agent with presenting properties for sale. Basic consultations turned into even bigger projects and soon the Estate Agent decided I was far more skilled at styling bedrooms and choosing carpet and paint colours than he ever would be.
As the renovation projects increased in complexity, I decided to return to school and successfully obtained a Diploma in Interior Design & Decoration. The plan was to start my own business, but it soon became apparent that I really didn’t know how to do it, where to start & how to get it up off the ground.
There were indications along the way that I wasn’t really being taken seriously by some, as I didn’t have a website, my branding was far from adequate and I was operating without appropriate legal contracts in place to protect both myself, my trades and my clients. Basically, my business didn’t look professional enough to be taken seriously.
I was lacking confidence in pricing my services & understanding the professional value of my self-worth.
I felt overwhelmed with all the work that was ahead of me, which translated into procrastination on my behalf. I wasn’t sure how to prioritise all these tasks into workable chunks & I had no processes in place to address these gaps.
WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE THAT THE MENTOR PROGRAM WAS WHAT YOU NEEDED AT THIS CURRENT TIME IN YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY?
Through an internet search, I came across Emma’s website and some information on her Mentoring Program. I contacted her because she was offering a free consultation that allowed me to learn more about what her Program had to offer.
I felt an instant connection with Emma. She was happy to answer any questions I had, was friendly, informative, genuinely interested in what I had to say and came across as someone who really wanted to share her knowledge and make a difference to others.
How Emma communicated and built rapport with me on that day, has remained the same ever since. Joining Emma Blomfield’s Mentoring Program has proven to be one of the best business decisions I have made to date.
BOOK YOUR COMPLIMENTARY 1:1 DISCOVERY CALL NOW
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THE MENTOR PROGRAM?
- You must provide something unique that sets you apart from everyone else, regardless of whether that is a service, your approach, suppliers you work with, or your work ethic so that your potential clients can clearly differentiate you from your competitors.
- Have a very clear understanding of who your target market is, or at least who you want to go out and target. So that your business processes, practices, and systems can be structured to support these markets.
- Know and believe in your worth. Be confident when talking about your pricing, because you are worth it, and if you don’t believe it then no one else will.
- Make sure you are adequately insured for the work you do.
- Ensure that you have appropriate and up-to-date legal contracts in place to support the service that your business provides, including worst-case scenarios. Then you can sleep well at night knowing that you and your business are protected.
- Surround yourself with professionals (such as Accountants & Solicitors) that are keen to get to know your business well, value their relationship with you and reflect your business ethics, morals, and values. They are an important part of your team.
- A social media presence is important and it’s best to concentrate on 2 and do it well, rather than spend time on them all, and execute it poorly.
- Be committed to continued learning and self-improvement so that your business has the opportunity to flourish.
- Sharing your knowledge is powerful – it does not make you vulnerable.
WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO HAVE ACCESS TO GROUP COACHING OVER 4 WEEKS?
Fantastic! At your fingertips, you have a small group of wonderfully talented and creative individuals who have all come together for the sole purpose of sharing and learning. All it takes is a little bit of courage on day 1 of week 1, to introduce yourself and the rest is easy.
When you join the Mentoring Program, you join Emma’s Facebook support group. This adds another dimension of support which is accessible during the Program so that participants can share information with each other. The forum allows you to obtain feedback and opinions, advice etc on current business issues you may be facing or for just seeking assistance on some of the homework you have to complete each week. It helps build trust and form stronger relationships with those who are or have been, part of the Program in the past.
HOW IS YOUR BUSINESS DIFFERENT FROM BEFORE YOU STARTED THE MENTOR PROGRAM?
It’s been turned upside down on its head…in a good way! Ultimately, the program has given me the increased confidence to go out there and create a business I can be proud of. Before I participated in Emma’s Mentoring Program, my business sat on the sidelines, which I am very happy to say, is no longer.
My business (and I) have benefited from the expanded network I have now started to foster as a result of my increased confidence. I now have a dedicated Instagram Page and a LinkedIn profile with 500+ connections which have already led to several inquiries. I have also reached out to my local BNI chapter, which coincidentally has a strong property following, thus enabling me to add to my supplier and provider portfolio. This has translated into several successful introductions with potential work pending.
I have sourced an Accountant whose values and ethics are more aligned with my business and my way of thinking. Now, figures and spreadsheets aren’t anywhere near as confusing. She is someone who always has the time to answer my questions, no matter what they are. She gets me and I finally get her!
Emma recommended her Solicitor to me, who has proven to be an outstanding contributor and supporters of my business. She has taken the time to learn about what I do and the challenges I face so that she can provide me with watertight working contracts for my clients and trades. Her professional services were provided at a discounted rate as I was a participant in Emma’s Mentoring Program. This translated into significant savings, which was greatly appreciated when you consider the amount of money it costs to set up a business.
PLUS, It won’t be long before:
- My business will be successfully rebranded and will be aligned with the services I offer.
- My website will be up and running which will support me in having a much stronger social presence.
- I will have appropriate legal documentation to support my business activities.
- I have a fee structure that now recognises the skills, experience, and qualifications I bring to each project and appropriately rewards me for the services I perform.
WHO DO YOU THINK THE MENTOR PROGRAM IS PERFECT FOR?
- I think this program is flexible enough to cater to a broad professional dynamic in the design arena, whether you are an Interior Designer, Decorator, Stylist, Graphic Designer, Architect or other professionals in a related field.
- Those who are willing to share & support others & who have a genuine desire to grow their business & learn from others.
- Those who wish to turn their hobby into a business.
BOOK IN YOUR COMPLIMENTARY 1:1 DISCOVERY CALL WITH ME TODAY AND GET READY TO JOIN US FOR THE NEXT MENTOR PROGRAM KICKING OFF ON 24TH OCTOBER 2019